Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Special Excerpt from "Distraction and Desire," by Author Kizzie Darker!



"I wake. Yet more sunlight pours through the tiny crack in the window. I wonder what the time is. How long have I been in this, this tiny room that smells of damp and crap? I see I am still strapped into the chair of doom and that I have the headache from hell. I feel stiff, like I have the worse hangover in the entire world. I scan the room. The metal table has disappeared so that hopefully is a good sign that I won't be given anymore medication to make me sleep. I slow my breathing as I listen out for any signs of life but all seems quiet. Where is everyone? I really need to quench my thirst; a bite to eat would be so good right now.
I adjust my position the best I can. I seem to be slumped in the chair. Is this how they left me all night? I manage to reach my face. I can still feel the dressing on my cheek. It feels blood soaked, sore.
“Hello?” I call as loud as I can. “Is anyone there?” I hear nothing, no human beings anyway. I look to the floor. A filth ridden rat scurries across the room. I scream at the top of my voice. Surely someone somewhere will hear my screams. “Hello? Please will someone help me?” I shout. I hear heavy footsteps in the corridor, voices call to one another. The words “clear” are spoken over and over again as doors are opened and closed one after another. “Hello?” I call. “In here!” I shout. I wrestle against my restraints in a desperate attempt to make as much noise as I can. I still my breathing as I hear the bolt on the door being cut into.“Please,” I whisper. All the commotion has become too much. I am too weak, too tried to keep my eyes open. I fall into an unconscious state. I can see a brilliant white light as I float away. “Stay with us, Joanna,” a voice pleads. I can't hold on, the light wants me and I must go to it. I can see his face. It smiles back at me as I walk in the peaceful gardens. He is dressed in the finest of white linens, his skin shines in the sunlight. He walks towards me; his arms are outstretched beckoning me. “Come to me, Joanna.” He smiles. I race towards him; I can see his hazel eyes peer back at me. They shine like washed pebbles. I draw closer to him. I can almost touch him, smell him, and breathe him. “Nathan,” I smile as I reach out to him. I close my eyes as I wrap myself in his arms but he fades away, away from my hold.

“Nathan!” I cry but he is gone, gone from my dreams."


Get your copy of Distraction and Desire Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment