Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Author Spotlight: Cynthia Wright!


1. Tell us about your book/books? I’ve written 14 novels that are now available as ebooks, all historical romances. The best known are the Raveneau & Beauvisage series (which intertwine). Now they are being joined by SMUGGLER’S MOON (The Raveneaus in Cornwall) , the first book in a new series that launches on January 23rd.
2. How did you get started as a writer?  I was always a voracious reader and began writing my own versions of favorite books while a child. (I wrote a sequel to Gone With the Wind when I was 14.) I wrote CAROLINE when I was 22 and sold it to Ballantine Book without an agent. I was under contract to Ballantine for 20 years.
3. What’s a typical day like for you?  I love to do a bit of social networking after breakfast, then start work. I have a great little “writing goals” group and we keep each other moving forward. If I’m working on a book, I try to keep going at least until I’ve met my goal of 1300 words per day. I also spend time on revisions, and on research – reading, making notes, reviewing.
4. Describe your workspace. Our 1935 Spanish bungalow is fairly small, and now our one spare bedroom is my dedicated office. I like to have my books and materials close at hand, so I have bookshelves and files built into the pedestals of my desks. I have a laptop on one desk and a desktop on the other. Sometimes I take my laptop out to our vintage Airstream and write there, where there are no distractions.
5. Favorite books? SO manyt! It’s easier for me to name authors than books. I was very inspired by Kathleen Woodiwiss and Georgette Heyer. I love Daphne du Maurier, who sparked my interest in Cornwall when I read her books in my teens. Gone With the Wind will always have a place in my heart!
6. Tell us 3 interesting things about you. I became a writer before I had any other job, and eventually I needed to be with people. I worked as an interior designer for many years and then returned to college  and earned a degree as a Physical Therapist Assistant 2 years ago. (I started to publish my backlist as ebooks while in college, and decided to return to writing full time when readers embraced them so warmly.) My husband and I have a tandem road bike that we love to ride. We’ve put 12,000 miles on it.We have a restored 1959 Airstream and love to get away in it when we can. It serves as a guest house in our backyard and my two little grandsons love to play house there.
7. Favorite quote:  “The end of our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and to know the place for the first time.” ~ T.S. Eliot
8. Best and worst part of being a writer?  Best – Being my own boss, working at home, & making my own hours. Worst – Resisting temptation to play hooky – which can happen right at my own desk, with the internet!

9. Advice to writers? Don’t compare yourself to others. Write what you love and don’t give up!

You can LIKE Cynthia's Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/cynthia.wright.98?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment