Thursday, August 28, 2014

Review of “Tales of the Fifth Guardian; Book 1: The Beginning” By: C.M. Johnson



“Tales of the Fifth Guardian; Book 1: The Beginning” By: C.M. Johnson
Rating: ☆☆☆☆
This book reminds me of a cross between Gena Showalter and Stargate Atlantis. The best part and difference is that we are right there with the characters as they are living and learning who they are. The book is told that a group of humans like the Atlantis people, were just like everyone else only they developed abilities or superpowers.
Keri is an extremely mature 18 year old that is going to be queen and the Fifth Guardian of her people. The Guardians of the Otland clans guide the people and give them information “Knowledge” in times of great change or need. The Guardians do not happen every generation, so it is unexpected when Keri says she will be the Fifth Guardian. We get to experience her new powers with her. And there were times when I would have been running around squealing like a girl and saying I did what? How COOL!, but Keri was so mature about her powers and the new Knowledge that she kept gaining.
We follow Keri as she meets with Kerreth, her mate for life. We get to experience a mission with Keri. She has been going on missions for years during the Tales of the Fifth Guardian, we get to meet her family and Kerreth’s family. I did get a little confused at times with who was who when dealing with the families as there were sets of twins and had similar names. But heck, I can’t even follow at my own family reunions.
The first part of the book goes over the different titles and descriptions of people and the relationship of each group. It was a like a quick course in history of the Otlandish clans. Everything was explained and put in place for the reader to better understand the story and the following stories. I generally don’t do well with history so it was slow going for me through the first parts of the book. I’m glad I stuck with it and got the details as more of Keri’s life and missions unfolded. I was also grateful for the glossary at the back of the book.
This book will translate very well into an audiobook. With the way it is written and the visualization, the right narrator would make this awesome. One item that I found unique was that when someone was speaking especially with more than two people, there was not a lot of “said X, she said, he said” It was a relief to me as I can find that really distracting when there is a lot of it. And finally, I just want to say that I am really envious over the bathtub Keri and Kerreth have and I want one like it!




No comments:

Post a Comment