Friday, January 25, 2019

Rules of Engagement by Mika Jolie




Title: Rules of Engagement
A Platonically Complicated Novel
Author: Mika Jolie
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: January 25, 2019



Blurb

Rule #1: Don’t fall in love.
As a single dad, my life revolves around my daughter. No complaints…until my ex-wife forces my hand over custody.
I needed a cover story. In steps Katharine Morello. My best friend’s sister is ready and willing to be my fake fiancĂ©e.
Overnight we’re engaged. A temporary arrangement.
No sex.
No strings attached.
No complications.
Easy, right?
Not quite. The last few months, I’ve been doing dirty things to her in my imagination. But that’s all they’ll ever be. Fantasies.

Rule #2: Don’t give in to temptation.
Neither of us is looking for a relationship. Been there. Done that. Even drank the Kool-Aid.
So, you see, I can resist beautiful, sexy Katharine. It doesn’t matter she’s hot as f*ck with an amazing personality to boot. All I have to do is NOT touch her.
I’ve got this.
Spoiler Alert…One night make-believe merges with reality. Sparks fly—and burn.
Now I want her. All of her.

Rule #3: See rule #1—don’t fall in love.
Man. Hindsight’s a bitch.





Review
Rating: 4.5*

Best friend's sister and fake fiance story - two favourites rolled into one book.

I loved the style of this book, particularly as it was told from the male POV, Lucas.  Lucas, single dad and successful businessman, has a vindictive ex who is trying to take custody of their daughter by portraying him as a ladies man and therefore an unfit father.  He is anything but - putting his daughter first and is so cute and adorable with her, which makes me totally swoon over him.  In an effort to ward off a court battle, his best friend's sister and his own close friend Kate offers to be his fiance whilst the case is ongoing.   But we know that what starts out as a fake relationship becomes very real.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read - the banter between the characters and the inner monologue of Lucas brought a light heartedness to this book.  The characters were well rounded and fun as well caring and kind hearted.

Purchase Links

$2.99 for a limited time!

AMAZON US / UK / CA / AU

Free in Kindle Unlimited





Excerpt

She moves into my space and tilts her head up, her eyes light and mischievous. “Kiss me, Lucas.”
The breath leaves my lungs in one gigantic swoosh. “Are you sure?”
“Let’s give them a show.”
I’m about to kiss Kate.
This time, I’m prepared.
Clasping my hands on either side of her face, I angle my head slightly. There’s a pause. A suspended moment where our eyes meet. The swirl of emotions I see there—apprehension, lust, desire—makes my heart trip.
We exchange breath. And then finally, my mouth dips to hers.
I try to remind myself we’re pretending, to stay calm, and in control.
My mouth is firm against hers. Her lips are sugar plum sweet and silky soft. The kiss remains gentle, slow. We hold it for a few seconds before our lips begin to move in perfect sync, slowly, cautiously.
Curiosity nudges for more. I move my hand from her cheek to the back of her head, my fingers tangling in her hair, holding her lips to mine, silently asking for permission. To my delight, a needy little moan echoes from her mouth to mine. She wraps her arms around my neck and parts her lips in gentle invitation.
And our tongues hungrily say hello.
A stimulating cocktail of endorphins explodes inside me. Sparks fly in every direction, lighting me up like fireworks on the Fourth of July.
Every single nerve explodes with heat.
I’m fired up. Turned on.
From somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind, I know this is a cover, that we aren’t real, but with Kate’s lips on mine, it’s hard to keep that thought. On a groan, I take all she has to give and deepen the kiss, forging ahead with no regrets. No reservations.
Many tales have been written about the Big Apple. But there’s nothing like kissing the woman you’ve been thinking about for what feels like forever in the middle of Manhattan.
The chaos from the street fades. The worries of the day evaporate like a summer shower falling onto a hot car, all noise instantly muting. The click-clack of heels rushes by us. We don’t hear them. People brush against us. We don’t feel them.
We are locked in the present, kissing each other as equal partners in passion, fucking each other with our mouths like we’re drowning and we are each other’s air, as if our lips were created for this sole purpose.
Talk about heaven on earth. 
This kiss is easily the hottest, most erotic kiss of my life.
My pulse patters faster and faster. The heat pouring into my veins as if pumped in through a hypodermic needle has nothing to do with today’s summerlike temperature but with desire.
I move one arm low around her back, drawing her closer, letting her feel every inch of me, how much she affects me. And we kiss and kiss and kiss.






Author Bio

Mika Jolie lives in New Jersey with her Happy Chaos—her husband and their energizer bunnies. She’s a lover of words, wonder, an old-fashioned, and the whimsical delights of everyday living. When she’s not writing swoon-worthy, sexy relatable romance, you can find her on a hiking adventure, beachin’ it at the Jersey shore, apple, blueberry picking, or whatever her three men can conjure up.

She loves to hear from readers. Connect with Mika on BookBub, her reader group Mika Jolie’s Wildflowers, Facebook, Amazon, Instagram, Goodreads, and BookandMainBites


Author Links

No comments:

Post a Comment